David Joseph Platt is a preacher in the United States who follows the evangelical Baptist tradition. He’s not just a preacher; he’s also a writer. At one point, he was one of the youngest pastors of a mega-church in the United States. Besides all that, David is the person who started Radical.net.
David Joseph Platt was born on July 11, 1978, in Atlanta, Georgia, United States. However, not much is known about his early life or his parents.
Despite the lack of information about his upbringing, David achieved a lot at a young age. He became the youngest pastor of a mega-church in America. Additionally, he served as the Dean of Chapel and Assistant Professor of Expository Preaching and Apologetics at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. During Hurricane Katrina, he was at Edgewater Baptist Church in New Orleans, and his living quarters got flooded.
He earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Georgia and later completed a Master of Divinity degree and a Ph.D. in New Testament Studies from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.
David gained significant recognition for his book “Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream,” published in 2010. The book challenges readers to rethink their understanding of being a follower of Jesus Christ, emphasizing wholehearted devotion to God’s mission.
From 2006 to 2014, he served as the pastor of The Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham, Alabama. His sermons were known for being challenging and rooted in the Bible, encouraging believers to authentically live out their faith and participate in global missions.
In 2014, Platt became the president of the International Mission Board (IMB) of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC). The IMB is dedicated to supporting and sending missionaries worldwide to spread Christianity. This role allowed Platt to continue his passion for missions and global outreach.
Platt was born on the 11 July 1978
Platt got a B.A. in Journalism from the University of Georgia. He also finished his studies at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, earning an M.Div, Th.M, and Ph.D.
David is married to Heather Platt, and they tied the knot on December 19, 1999. They have four kids: Isaiah Platt, Mara Ruth Platt, Caleb Platt, and Joshua Platt.
In 2006, The Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham, Alabama, chose Platt as its lead pastor, making him the youngest mega-church pastor in the United States at the age of 27.
Then, in 2014, the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention elected Platt as its president. This organization is one of the world’s largest missionary-sending groups.
In February 2017, Platt started as a temporary teaching pastor at McLean Bible Church in Vienna, Virginia, while still serving as the president of the International Mission Board. In September of the same year, he became the pastor-teacher at McLean Bible Church. He announced his resignation from the IMB in February 2018, pending the appointment of his successor.
On an unexpected visit by President Donald Trump at McLean Bible Church on June 2, 2019, Platt prayed for him. Platt later wrote a letter explaining the circumstances and his prayer, referencing the biblical command to pray for people in authority (1 Timothy 2:1-6) as his inspiration.
David is also the founder of a resource ministry called “Radical.net.”
Some of David’s published works include:
- Radical: Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream
- Radical Together: Unleashing The People of God for the Purpose of God
- Something Needs to Change: A Call to Make Your Life Count in a World of Urgent Need (2019)
- Gospel Threads
- Twelve Traits: Embracing God’s Design for the Church
- God’s Love Compels Us
- Risk is Right
- Counter Culture
- Follow Me
- He Came
- To Us, a Son is Given
- Mission Precision
- 1 John: Love Made Known Bible Study
- Christ-Centered Exposition series, Exalting Jesus in Galatians, Exalting Jesus in 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus, Exalting Jesus in Matthew, Exalting Jesus in James, Exalting Jesus in Psalms, Volume 2: 51-100
David Platt’s Sermons
- The Goal of God and the Goal of your Life
- Die To Sin, To Ourselves, And To This World
- The Critical Question
- The Secret To The Christian Life
- A Message From The King
- Living For What Matters
- With Jesus in Your Boat
- Following Jesus Could Cost You Every
Pastor David Platt is estimated to have a net worth of about $2 million. His main income comes from his books, and he also earns money from his work as a pastor-teacher at McLean Bible Church.
PASTOR PLATT’s QUOTES
- “Believing in the Jesus of the Bible makes life risky on a lot of levels because it is absolute surrender of every decision we make, every dollar we spend, our lives belong to another.”
- “That is relinquishing control in a culture that prioritizes control and doing what you need to do in order to advance yourself.”
- “The call of Christ is to deny ourselves and to let go of our lives. To relinquish control of our lives, to surrender everything we are, everything that we do, our direction our safety our security is no longer found in the things of this world. It is found in Christ. And that is great risk when it comes to the things of this world.”
- “To everyone wanting a safe, untroubled, comfortable life free from danger, stay away from Jesus. The danger in our lives will always increase in proportion to the depth of our relationship with Christ.”
- “My biggest fear, even now, is that I will hear Jesus’ words and walk away, content to settle for less than radical obedience to Him.”
- “If you can trust God to save you for eternity, you can trust him to lead you for a lifetime.”
- “God stands ready to allocate his power to all who are radically dependent on Him and radically devoted to making much of Him.”
- “A materialistic world will not be won to Christ by a materialistic church.”
- “God has made a way of salvation for the lost. Not a way, but the way. And this is the good news – the gospel.”
- “May even the concept of unreached peoples be totally intolerable to us.”
You can find Pastor David Platt on the below social media platforms: